Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Welcome greetings and first project

Hi!
This is my new blog. I've been bitten by the blog bug and now I have two blogs! I can barely keep up with my first one: www.rocketcitycakes.blogspot.com. So, I hope to post at least once a week on either or both these blogs.

Well, since the other blog is dedicated to just the cakes my husband and I make, I'm dedicating this one to our house and other goings on that I would just like to put out here on the interwebs.

I guess I should welcome you to our humble abode. Welcome! :)


Yes, that is the MLS listings picture. I was so excited about this house that I saved all of the pictures from the MLS listing.

So, on to more exciting stuff! This is my greatest creation (that isn't a cake) yet. I bought a sewing machine and the cabinet/table for $20. Turned out the sewing machine (the thing that I wanted the most) had broken gears and the feed wouldn't work. But, I soon realized I could use the table as an entry way table. I've been looking for one that my husband and I could agree on. The entry way is a little narrow so we had to find something kinda small. Anyway, here is the before.

That's a piece of art we got from my husband's grandmother. It's a modern type piece and thought it was kinda cool to go right there. And now, here's the after:

Oh, no. Sorry it's so dark. I'm not that great at taking indoor photos at night. Here's a close up:

I love this so much!!! Here's a photo montage of the process:

There were some scratches and water stains in the finish of the wood and it needed sanding badly.

Here is my new toy. I really like this thing! :)

I meant to take a picture of it after I sanded and before I started spray painting, but I forgot.

Here's a leg that I haven't painted and that's what most of it looked like.

Yea! And please excuse the head in the corner I wasn't paying much attention what was in the shot because I was so excited.

If you want to know of any advice that I could give when doing a project like this, it would be: take your time. I'm very impatient when it comes to projects and tend to skip steps, like priming before painting. The wood totally soaked up a lot of the paint on the first coat. What I should have done was sand, prime, paint, sand, paint, and protect (with a coat of protective sealer). Well, the sealer is on my to do list, but I will have to do it later because I just wanted it in the house by this weekend. I'm so excited for the possibilities of this little piece of furniture.

Have a great day!

Lee

3 comments:

  1. The table looks neat. I want to paint this old wooden table set my parents gave me, so I may use your advice! I still need to come see your house. When I get time (which I am starting to think will never happen), I am going to come see. It is weird that my friends have houses! Geez, we're getting old!

    Danger ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, hey - congratulations on your home, your first anti-cake blog post, and your first home project! It looks great! My parent's have an old sewing machine and cabinet that belonged to my grandmother. I hope to inherit it one day. Hopefully, not for a long, long time, though. :0) Looking forward to seeing more of your upcoming projects.

    Pam

    P.S. Two Jeff and Pams' is pretty crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job on the painting...I too have an old sewing cabinet...but not ready to paint it yet.
    Looks like you and I are the same...I like quick projects, rarely sand or prime...ha ha..
    But come see what I've finished...

    ReplyDelete